The Top 9 Kids Sandpits for Your Garden
See Our Contents
Table of Contents
- Little Tikes Turtle Sandbox
- KandyToys Sand And Water Table
- Big Game Hunter Boat Sand Pit
- Marko Outdoor Sand Pit/Paddling Pool/Ball Pit
- Big Game Hunters Racing Car Sand Pit
- Big Game Hunters Hexagonal Sandbox
- Plum Sandy Bay Wooden Sand and Water Table
- Big Game Hunters Square Sand Pit With Lid
- Gaurenteed4Less Pink Outdoor Sandpit
- How old does my child have to be to use a sand pit?
- How much sand is required to fill a sand pit?
- How do I maintain my sand pit to protect from weather?
- What to think about when buying a sandpit
- What Sand Should you Use in a Sand Pit
- How to Make/Build a Sand Pit
- Benefits of Getting a Sand Pit for Your Toddler
- Sandpit or Paddling Pool?
- Where to Buy a Sand Pit
Our picks for the best sand pits for your toddler
Little Tikes Turtle Sandbox
You would like a combi-pit (can be used for both sand and water)
Have memories of playing in one as a child
Don’t want to assemble anything
No Assembly Required
Two Built-In Seats
Good for 4 Children at Once
The Lid Could Easily Been Blown Off in Semi-Strong Winds
Check Out The Deal: Little Tikes Turtle Sandbox
KandyToys Sand And Water Table
You are short in space
If it’s only for one child
Easy to Store
Easy to Assemble/Disassemble
Can be used with Sand and Water
Small, Only Suitable for One Child at a Time
Check Out The Deal: KandyToys Sand & Water Table
Big Game Hunter Boat Sand Pit
Your Child Loves Boats
You Want to Spark Imagination
Designed Like a Boat
Has a Canopy to Shade Children
Has a Storage Compartment
Very Large and 114cm Tall
Check Out The Deal: Pirate Ship Sand Pit
Marko Outdoor Sand Pit/Paddling Pool/Ball Pit
You want a multi-use sand pit
Want a Cheaper Option
Suitable for 2 children
Simple design with no assembly
Can be used a ball pit, paddling pool or sand pit
Similar products can be found cheaper elsewhere.
Check Out The Deal: Marko Outdoor Sand Pit
Big Game Hunters Racing Car Sand Pit
Your little one loves cars
Fully Secured underlay
Weatherproof cover included
Fun interactive steering wheel
Not great for more than two children
Check Out The Deal: Racing Car Sandpit
Big Game Hunters Hexagonal Sandbox
You have a landscaped garden or artificial grass
Large enough for 4 children
Can add a wooden lid
Easy to assemble
Its large so takes up more room (not suitable for small gardens)
Check Out The Deal: Hexagonal Sandbox
Plum Sandy Bay Wooden Sand and Water Table
You are looking for a smaller but nice looking water and sand play unit
Packs Away Neatly
Water and Sand Play
Promotes Safe Play
Sand can easily mix with the water
Check Out The Deal: Plum Sandy Bay Water and Sand Tables
Big Game Hunters Square Sand Pit With Lid
You are buying for girls
Double sided (extra play area)
Pink in colour
Is extremely heavy when both sides are filled
Check Out The Deal: Square Sand Pit With Lid
Gaurenteed4Less Pink Outdoor Sandpit
You are looking for a long lasting sand pit
Comes partly assembled
Built in lid and seats
Large enough for 4 children
The Lid isn’t Water Proof
Check Out The Deal: Pink Shell Sand Pit
Sand Pit Buying Guide & FAQ
How old does my child have to be to use a sand pit?
Most of the best sand pits have a sensible age range on them, normally from 18 months, sometimes 2 years, upwards.
How much sand is required to fill a sand pit?
The amount of sand required to fill a sandpit will vary depending on the type of sand pit you decide to buy. We have outline the amount needed for each of our recommended products on this list.
How do I maintain my sand pit to protect from weather?
A lot of sandpits come with a weatherproof cover for when it’s not in use. This is the best way to protect them. You can take further measures if you have a wooden one, and treat it with a weatherproof stain.
What to think about when buying a sandpit
- Does have to be put together – If you aren’t great at assembling things then it’s worth checking if it’s something that’s required as you might need to pay someone to do it for you and make the cost of it very high.
- What is it made from – You’ll have multiple options for what your sand pit will be made of but to generalise, you’ll have wood or plastic. Plastic will be longer lasting but may discolour or crack. Wood will need some maintenance to be long lasting but can rot and splinter. Choose carefully.
- Is it easily portable – If you are going to need to move the sand pit regularly then you will want to go with a single player sand pit. Having a large one filled with sand will be almost impossible to move unless you are Eddie Hall!
- Does it need maintenance – Wooden sand pits generally will need some maintenance, this means emptying it, cleaning it, treating it, and storing it. If this is going to be difficult then plastic might be a better option.
- How much sand does it need to be filled – Play sand, although not hugely expensive, can drastically up your spend if you buy a large sand pit. Check the recommended amount of sand for your pit and source the sand first to get an idea of how much itll cost.
What Sand Should you Use in a Sand Pit
In a sand pit you should only use play sand. Using other types of sand, for example builders sand, can cause staining on clothes which will ruined them.
How to Make/Build a Sand Pit
Wickes has put together a great video to show you how to build a sandpit for your children if you would rather make your own!
Benefits of Getting a Sand Pit for Your Toddler
Here the top reasons to get a sandpit for your garden.
- Lets children think creatively
- Encourages imagination
- Develops physical skills
- Helps with social skills
- Discover new worlds and textures
Sandpit or Paddling Pool?
If you had to choose between one of the other what one should you go for?
We have looked at the best paddling pools on another guide but without spending all day readying here is a brief overview of what’s better in what aspect.
- What needs more space: Paddling Pool
- Can be Played with in any weather: Paddling pool
- Easier to set up to play with: Sand Pit
- Better for all year round: Sandpit
- Messier: Sand Pit
- More maintenance required: Paddling Pool
Where to Buy a Sand Pit
Amazon – there are a huge array of sandpits available on Amazon most of which include free delivery which is a bonus when it comes to large-item shipping.
Argos – Argos offers a large option when it comes to sandpits and offers varieties of lots of options on today’s list.
Asda – There are currently no sandpits available from Asda but on our search, we did find some to be available in some stores.
Smyths – Smyths offer a huge selection of sandpits and sandpit toys.
Aldi – Aldi sometimes offers sand pits but their deals change regularly and more likely to find one in the summer months.
Wilko – Wilko offers a small selection of sandpits but they are online exclusive more often than not.